Village of Hudson Falls

Code Enforcement

Hudson Falls Code Enforcement handles concerns from citizens that affect the quality of life within the Village such as zoning, overgrown lots or yards, unregistered vehicles, maintenance of structures, and public nuisances. Periodic inspections are also performed throughout the Village to ensure properties are in compliance with the Village code.

For a list of Code Enforcement Forms – Click here

Building and Demo Permits

All Building Permit Applications submitted after June 1st, 2016, must be done on a Washington County Permit Application .
Applications for Building Permits will still need to be seen by the Village of Hudson Falls Code Enforcement Officer, Ross Cortese, so that he may sign and approve the Local Regulation Compliance Certificate included with your application.

All other permits, such as Fences, Signs, Sidewalks and Driveways are local permits and will continue to be processed solely in our offices here at Village Hall.

If you have a Building Permit that was issued to you before June 1, 2016, all of your inspections will continue to be done by the Village Code Enforcement Officer, Ross Cortese.

Any permits that are issued on or after June 1, 2016, will be inspected by Washington County Code Enforcement officials.

When to get a building permit

If you are thinking of building, remodeling, replacing, converting, or installing, this should help you answer some general questions on what you need a permit for and how to apply for one.  The State of New York requires all municipalities in the State to adopt the New York State Uniform Fire Prevention Building Code.  This is the requirement to obtain a permit and be in compliance with NYS and your municipality’s Local Laws.  To keep this simple, here is a list of the most common things a homeowner would need to know about permits.  Please remember, if you are unsure always check with the Code Enforcement Officer, Ross Cortese, before you build.

  1. Decks, porches, entry ways:  all need building permits, even when completely tearing down and replacing with new.
  2. Swimming pools:  both in-ground and above-ground need a building permit.  Also, fencing may be required along with the proper electrical inspection and pool alarms.
  3. Fencing:  A permit is required.
  4. Garages and pole style buildings:  attached or unattached need building permits.  Some may require fire walls and fire rated door.  Check with your insurance company, attached vs. detached.
  5. Sheds:  small, medium or large.  Most need a permit, check with your local code enforcement officer.
  6. New homes and modulars:  need a building permit.
  7. Commercial buildings:  need a building permit.
  8. Additions:  to almost any existing building or structure will require a permit.  This includes:  garages, decks, houses, sheds, and commercial structures.
  9. Structural changes:  all need a building permit.  This would include replacement of all or sections of a foundation; re-pitch of a roof, new roof trusses or rafters, load bearing walls, headers, columns, piers, floor joists and any reconstruction whether existing or not.
  10. Roofs:  are a tricky area.  New trusses, rafters, porch roofs, carports, etc. need a building permit.  Check with your local code enforcement officer about overlays, tear offs, repairs, plywood replacement, etc.
  11. Siding:  use of vinyl siding, wooden clapboard, T-111, normally do not require a building permit.
  12. Windows and doors:  replacement windows and doors of the same size do not require a building permit.  New windows, doors in a position that they were not in before, larger or smaller replacement windows and doors may need a building permit.
  13. Plumbing, heating, electrical:  all need a permit or some type of inspection.  This is a very tricky area.  In order to be sure it is done right the first time; please contact the Code Enforcement Officer.  All wood stoves, furnaces and chimneys for solid fuel devices must have a building permit.  All electrical work must be inspected; this is for your benefit 100%.  New York Board of Fire Underwriters is among the most recommended firms that can do this for you.  Contact Code Enforcement Officer for the phone numbers of approved electrical inspection agencies.
  14. Change of use:  if a building is being used for one type of use but will now be used for another (i.e., single family home to a two family or professional office to mercantile store), this is a change of use and will require a building permit.
  15. Mobile homes:  mobile homes/ manufactured homes are only allowed in mobile home parks in the Village of Hudson Falls.
  16. Handicapped accessibility:  applies to all new commercial construction and is a federal requirement as well as state and requires a permit.
  17. Driveways:  new driveways will require a permit.
  18. Sidewalks:  require a permit and must meet sidewalk regulations.

This list is to try and clear up some general questions.  Please use common sense, this list is not applicable in all cases and ALWAYS when in doubt or not quite sure, ASK OUR CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICER, Ross Cortese, 747-5426 ext 207.  It will always be cost effective to ask first then to do it wrong and have to change it again.

Outdoor Burning:  Outdoor Burning Only wood, charcoal or coal may be burned in outdoor containers within the village. Click here for more information on the burn law.

Abandoned Vehicles

  • 198-1. Storage on private property It shall be unlawful for any person, firm or corporation, either as owner, occupant, lessee, agent, tenant or otherwise, to store or deposit or caused to be stored or deposited an abandoned, junked or discarded motor vehicle or motor vehicles upon any private land within the corporate limits of the Village of Hudson Falls. Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions, unregistered vehicles in open storage shall be limited in number to one per parcel or lot. This means that any parcel or lot, irrespective of the number of dwelling units it may contain or the use of the parcel or lot, is limited to one unregistered motor vehicle in open storage. This provision does not apply to customer vehicles under or scheduled for repair or awaiting customer pick up at registered automotive repair shops and automotive body repair shops, or to licensed commercial motor vehicle sales operations or licensed automobile junkyards.

Unauthorized Mobile Homes

§ 215-71 No mobile home may be located or occupied within the corporate limits of the Village of Hudson Falls except in a legally established and licensed mobile home park.

Nuisance  Abatement Law

140-1 – Click here for the full nuisance abatement law

Comments are closed.